After being aware that UBF is a cult you will want to leave it for good. It is strongly recommended that you do. But before you do so there is information you’ll need to know before going into deprogramming process.
In cults those on top of the pyramid want to exert excessive control over you as mentioned in the previous article. So when you decide to go through deprogramming the UBF leaders (seniors & chapter directors) will attempt to reinforce their authority down your throat through several of the typical UBF practices of mind control and brainwashing. (Note: I won’t go into depth on UBF’s corresponding practices for the focus of this article series is about how to leave UBF not how the UBF system works. That will be a different article series in the distant future).
Here are some of the things they will do to keep their grip on you:
- Guilt trip: this can take various forms such as letters, euphemisms, or yelling. Some key words or phrases used to stimulate this are “by faith”, “God’s will”, “God’s desire for you”, “to please God”
- Your weaknesses
- Other UBF members whom are loyal and brainwashed with lies or exaggerations
When preparing to leave UBF for good it is advisable not to tell anyone in the chapter that you are leaving for these following reasons:
- The bible teacher (“shepherd/ess”) is NOT your parent so you are not obligation or in the need to expose your life to them nor tell them about your decisions in life.
- They will relentlessly nag you to death until they get you to subject to them
- They will eavesdrop on your conversations
- Telling you made up horror stories [never the survivor stories]
This is all not meant nor intended to be a discouragement but to be a heads up and a chance to be prepare and aware of what is to come.
How did your chapter try to get to stay? Also what are other things to look out for when deciding to leaving?
http://ubfriends.net/?s=22+minutes+of+mind+control (clear cut example of UBF’s mind control)
http://www.voy.com/60734/7563.html (another example of UBF mind control)
https://web.archive.org/web/20040103225555/http://www.ubf-info.de/ext/wellspring2003.en.htm (ex-UBF member survivor story)
https://web.archive.org/web/20081119141235/http://www.ubfsurvivor.info/testimony.html (Another ex-UBF member survivor story)